If you thought milk and turkey were the only snooze-inducing foods, guess again! Learn how the Glycemic Index may help you fall asleep faster. [via readersdigest]
Carbohydrate foods that break down quickly during digestion have higher glycemic rankings. These foods may help you fall asleep in half the usual time if you eat them within 4 hours of bedtime by speeding up the release of tryptophan and serotonin, brain chemicals that promote sleep. The index scales from 1 to 100. Learn more about glycemic index rankings.
1. Jelly beans (80)
2. Bread. Plain bagel (72), French bread (95)
3. Snacks. Corn chips (72), pretzels (81), rice cakes (82), Saltine
4. Cereal. Golden Grahams (71), Grapenuts Flakes (80), cornflakes (84)
5. Potatoes. Mashed potatoes (73), french fries (76), red baked
6. Instant rice (91)
7. Sweet snacks. Vanilla wafers (77), graham crackers (74)
8. Tofu dessert (115)
9. Watermelon (72)
Watermelon is also an aphrodisiac. Learn why this fruit earned a spot on our list of foods linked with love.
10. Honey (73)
Learn more: See information about the most common sleep disorders and discover strategies for getting the good night's sleep you deserve.
Did you like this post? Leave your comments below!
Found this Post interesting? Receive new posts via RSS (What is RSS?) or Subscribe to CR by Email