Fire officials in New Bedford, Mass., said a man using a blowtorch to melt ice on his back porch ended up setting his house on fire, causing up to $30,000 in damage.
Fire Capt. Scott Kruger told The Standard-Times of New Bedford that no on was injured during Monday's incident at the three-story home.
Kruger said the man was using a torch hooked up to a 20-pound propane cylinder. He got too close to the building's wood frame and ignited the vinyl siding. The fire quickly spread into the building's second- and third-floor apartments.
"I've never seen anything like it. I guess he got distracted and maybe turned toward the house," New Bedford Fire Department Lt. William Arnold told TV station WCVB.
It took 25 firefighters to subdue the blaze that damaged bedrooms in the upstairs units, and caused damage to the structure and wiring.The homeowner will not be charged.
Found this Post interesting? Receive new posts via RSS (What is RSS?) or subscribe via email at the top of this page...